Take a Tour of Pullman
Pullman is an active, vibrant Chicago neighborhood where you can experience the continuing American stories illuminated by this special place. Historic Pullman Foundation offers the following tours and programs, in addition to encouraging visitors to explore Pullman National Monument and State Historic Site.
- Self-Guided Tours
Guests can pick up a copy of HPF’s Walking Tour Brochure from our volunteers at the Pullman Exhibit Hall. The brochure will help orient you to the area during your visit.
- First Sunday Walking Tours
Guided tours are available to the public on the first Sunday of the month, from May through October. Tours begin at the Pullman Exhibit Hall at 1:30 p.m. and last about 90 minutes. Tours are $15, or $10 for seniors and students. Visit our Events calendar for more information.
- School and Private Group Tours
School or private group tours for 20 or more people can be arranged any time of year. Contact our Tour Coordinator at 773-785-8901 to assist you in planning your tour. Please leave a message with your contact information, the date and time you’d like to bring a tour group, expected number of guests and any special needs you may have. Learn more about group tours below.
More about Private Group Tours
Visiting Pullman for a private walking tour is a wonderful way for your group to be immersed in the continuing American story that is Pullman. We host school groups and other private groups year-round and can customize your tour to suit your group’s interests. The following offers more details to help design your tour.
Start at the Historic Pullman Visitor Center
Before you head out for the walking portion of your tour, you’ll start at our Visitor Center, where you will:
- watch a 15-minute introductory video that provides an historical overview of the town of Pullman and the preservation activity in the community today.
- view our ongoing exhibit of historic photos and artifacts.
- have the opportunity to purchase select books and gifts related to Pullman.
During your tour
Your group will then take a guided walk of the town and learn about the history of Pullman, its architecture and the landmark community today. Tours are conducted by trained volunteer guides who are residents or enthusiasts of Pullman. During the tour, visitors experience a walk back in time, with opportunities to view the exterior of almost all of the original 1880s housing and many public buildings that comprise the district today. You will also tour the interior of Greenstone Church if it is open that day.
Details for arranging a group tour
- Guided Group Tours are available year-round for groups of 20 to 100 people.
- A minimum tour rate is applied for groups of less than 20 people.
- Please discuss any special interests your group may have when you are booking your tour. Select guides are available to focus on areas of particular interest to your group, such as architecture, planning, Chicago history, labor history, etc.
- Although we recommend your group walk the tour route, our guide can board your tour bus for the walking portion of the tour.
- Average tours last between two and three hours, but tour length can be accommodated to suit the needs of your group. Though we do not recommend tours of less than 90 minutes, please discuss any time restrictions with our Tour Coordinator so we can best accommodate your group’s schedule.
- Ample parking is available at our Visitor Center for cars and buses.
- The Visitor Center is fully handicapped accessible. We can also provide amplification devices for the hearing impaired to be used during the video presentation.
- For more information, contact our Tour Coordinator at 773-785-8901.